Open Burning Season in Gunnison County
***OPEN BURNING IS NOT ALLOWED WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF GUNNISON***Open, planned burns can become out of control. The uncontrolled burns can be prevented if certain procedures are followed:
- Notify Gunnison Dispatch, 970.641.8200 ext. 1, of the location, size and time of your burn. If this notification is NOT made and the fire is reported by someone, the Fire Department will respond to a burn that is actually under control.
- Plan your burn in the early morning hours between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., or in the later evening hours, between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Wind gusts are least likely to occur at these times. Check with the local weather service prior to your burn for wind forecasts for the day.
- Make sure you have a water supply that will reach the entire perimeter of the burn area. Wet down the perimeter to prevent fire from spreading to a neighbor's property.
- If you have a large area to burn, it is best to burn in small sections and use your mower to cut some fire breaks. When you light the area, light only one area. Do not start several perimeter fires.
- It is always best to have someone help you with your burn--never burn alone.
- Make sure the burn area is no closer than 50 feet from any structure.
- If the burn should get out of control, please do not hesitate to call the Fire Department. Hesitation can cause a fire that would have taken 1/2 to 1 hour to control, up to potentially 8 hours to control.