TOWN OF GRISWOLD/BOROUGH OF JEWETT CITY
NOTICE OF TAX COLLECTOR
(TOWN MILL RATE IS 25.07 & BOROUGH MILL RATE IS 3.56)
Payments will be received by
IN PERSON, MAIL, DROP BOX, OR ONLINE at www.griswold-ct.org
An additional fee is charged by the processing company (Invoice Cloud) for Credit and Debit Transactions, as well as Online Electronic Checks.
The Following Taxes are Due July 1, 2022 and payable without interest by August 1, 2022:
- Motor Vehicle Taxes IN FULL
- Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes OVER $100.00 – FIRST INSTALLMENT
- Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes LESS THAN $100.00 – IN FULL
Mail postmarked (US Postal Service postmark only) on or before August 1, 2022 will be considered as having been paid on time.
Payments placed in the Town Hall drop box after 4:00 p.m. on August 1, 2022 will be considered as having been made the following business day and will be PAID LATE.
Delinquent Tax Date – August 2, 2022 with interest at 1.5% per month from July 1, 2022. There is a minimum interest of $2.00. Failure to receive a bill does not invalidate the tax or penalties per CGSS 12-130.
Please make checks/money orders payable to Town of Griswold and mail payments to Town of Griswold, c/o Tax Collector, 28 Main Street, P.O. Box 369, Jewett City, CT 06351. Please include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope if you would like a receipt. Office Hours: Monday-Wednesday 8:30-4:00, Thursday 8:30-6:30 and Friday 8:30-1:00. Additional Hours: Saturday, July 30, 2022 from 9:00-Noon.Leona Sharkey, CCMC
Tax Collector - Town of Griswold
TAX PAYMENTS - how do i pay my tax bill?
THE TAX OFFICE WILL ACCEPT PAYMENTS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING METHODS:
(Cash, Check, Money Order, Bank/Cashier Check, Debit/Credit)
- In Office (first floor) – Bring entire bill when paying in person.
- Drop box – Side of the building. Mark outside of envelopes Tax Office. Receipts will be mailed.
- Regular mail – If receipt is wanted, please include Self Addressed Stamped Envelope.
- Credit/ Debit Card – In office or online at www.griswold-ct.org, click Make a Tax Payment, read notice, then click agree and understand statement, & follow instructions. (There is an additional fee charged by the processing company - All credit and debit cards are 2.75%. Electronic Check (ONLINE ONLY) for an additional fee of $1.25. The minimum fee is $1.50.
- Money orders or Checks - Make payable to "Town of Griswold".
TAX OFFICE POLICY
ADMINISTRATIVE FEE – DELINQUENT MOTOR VEHICLES
Effective July 1, 2018 there will be an administrative fee of $5.00 added to each delinquent motor vehicle account. This policy was reviewed and approved by the Board of Finance.
DMV RELEASE/CLEARANCE PAYMENTS: THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Cash, Money Order, Bank/Cashier Check, debit or credit - 24 hours
- Personal/Business Checks - 10 Day Hold
Any questions concerning assessed value, adjustments, exemptions or credits, tax relief programs, and improper motor vehicle tax billings should be directed to the Assessors Office at (860) 376-7060 extension 2105 or 2103.
Questions about billing, tax balances due, amounts paid, delinquent taxes and interest charged should be directed to the Tax Collector's Office.
Make Your Online Tax $ Payment Here
Mobile Home Information
Any person owning a mobile manufactured home should have filed with the Town Clerk a certificate of title, bill of sale or other document evidencing the person's ownership of the mobile manufactured home. Furthermore, any document transferring title or owner who desires to remove such home from a park or land on which it has been situated must file a removal statement for recording with the Town Clerk
All properties owned and all motor vehicles registered on the Grand List of October 1st of a given year are typically billed in July of the following year. Bills are mailed once a year. Interest on late payments is 18% annual, calculated at 1.5% per month or any fraction of a month from the due date.
*NO ADDITIONAL BILLS OR REMINDERS WIL BE MAILED; PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS*
Real and Personal Property
- Less than $100, are due in full 7/1
- Over $100, are due semi annually 7/1 & 1/1
- Motor Vehicle bills are due in one single installment
- Supplemental Motor Vehicle Taxes
- Due the First of January, the following year
- Supplemental motor vehicle bills are for any newly registered vehicle between October 2nd through July 31st. Vehicles are assessed based on the month they were first registered through September 30th. If this vehicle replaces a vehicle on the regular October 1st Grand List, a credit for that vehicle will show on this bill. If this vehicle has been sold, destroyed, stolen or registered in another state, please contact the Assessor's Office.
- Write your list number(s) or bill type on your check or money order
- Make payable to the" Town of Griswold" along with your installment coupon which is attached to the bottom of the bill.
- Remember: Real Estate and Personal Property bills have two coupons attached to the bottom, first installment due July 1st & the second half due January 1st. You have thirty days from the due date to pay without penalty.
When paying by Credit Card/Debit Card:
- Payments may be made at the Tax Collector's Office or on line by using the secure link.
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted.
- Taxpayer is to pay a Courtesy Fee.
- 2.75% SITE FEE credit or debit card, or a $1.50 MINIMUM
- $1.25 for Electronic Check
Our Office's Responsibility to Our Residents:
The Griswold Tax Collector Office is responsible for the billing and collection of all Real Estate, Motor Vehicle and Personal Property bills for Griswold and the Borough District.
CONTACT OUR OFFICE
Leona Sharkey, CCMC
Assistant Tax Collector
Griswold Town Hall
28 Main Street
Jewett City, CT 06351
Phone: 860 376-7060
Fax: 860 376-7070
Our office is on the first floor of the Town Hall.
Monday - Wednesday
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
8:30 AM – 6:30 PM
8:30 AM – 1:00 PM